Doctor Engineer Bruhtesfa Ebrahim Godana’s Short Biography
1. Childhood and pre university life
Doctor Engineer Bruhtesfa Ebrahim Godana was born on May the 23rd 1985 from his father Mr. Ebrahim Godana and his mother teacher Amakelech Kebede in South Wolo zone, Legambo woreda at a small town called Akesta. When he came of age, he joined the nearby elementary school and completed until the 8th grade within 6 years. He then went to w/ro Sihin Secondary School that is found in Dessie town and completed his secondary school education in the year 2000. During his secondary school education, Doctor Engineer Bruhtesfa stood first and earned a prize in an academic competition that was held among all secondary schools in the Amhara region. He joined the Jimma University in the year 2001 scoring all A’s in the Ethiopian School Leaving Certificate Examination (ESLCE).
His parents, his mother and his grandmother, were praised for his wisdom, his respect for others and care for others feelings. As witnessed by his family, Doctor Bruhtesfa gave special attention to his study and passed his time studying and helping his friends in their study. Because of the passing of his mother in the year 1998 and the ambition he has shown in his study, an elementary school was named after him in the year 2007 at his birth place, Akesta.
2. Education and research life
Doctor Engineer Bruhtesfa followed his higher education in Electrical Engineering at Jimma University from 2001 to 2006. He continued his good deeds by helping others in their study in addition to his own. He graduated his bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering in the year 2006 with great distinction receiving a gold medal award of his batch. During the last year of his study, he did his graduation paper on software based radio receiver. Then after, he worked at Addis Ababa University as graduate assistant for some months. After that he got a scholarship to pursue his education further in electrical engineering at the Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands. There, he graduated his masters degree in Electrical Engineering with distinction. He did his thesis on Human activity characterization in Indoor Environment using GNU Radio based Radar. He published award winning findings on international conferences and journals. Afterwards he did his research on Feedback and Precoding Techniques for MIMO Wireless Communications and got his PhD from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in the year 2013 at a young age of 27. He published several of his findings on international conferences and journals. Due to the originality and practical applicability of his research for mobile and radio technology, he got ExxonMobile’s award in applied research of the year 2014. After finishing his PhD research, he joined the Ericsson research team at Stockholm in the position of experienced researcher. His colleagues at Eriksson witness his honesty, his likable and hardworking personality, and his ability to accomplish tasks that require several years of experience successfully. During his stay at Ericsson, he registered more than 10 patents in his name and with co-workers.
Research and publications
ERICSSON February 2014 – March 2015
Experienced researcher Stockholm, Sweden
• Research on radio access networks of mobile broadband systems
• Concept development, performance evaluation and standardization of radio network algorithms for 3GPP LTE and short range technologies such as WiFi.
NTNU October 2009 – September 2013
Research Fellow Trondheim, Norway
• Research on signal processing algorithms & techniques in multiple antenna wireless systems.
• Teaching assistant for MSc courses: “‘Applied signal processing”, “Digital Signal Processing” and “Radio Communications”.
• Responsible for lab on software defined radio.
Philips Research October 2008 – July 2009
Research assistant, Masters Thesis Eindhoven, Netherlands
• Designing signal processing algorithms for human movement detection, identification and classification using Doppler radar
• Developing a software defined radar platform using USRP and GNU Radio
TNO ICT July 2008 – August 2008
Internship Delft, Netherlands
• Implemented an IPTV prototype for channel zapping measurement.
• Developed and evaluated models for the quality of experience (QOE) in IPTV.
• 5 international (IEEE) journal papers in signal processing, radar, wireless communications
• 10 IEEE peer-reviewed conference papers
• ExxonMobil’s 2014 award for best PhD thesis in applied research at NTNU
• Best Paper Award in 1st SENSORDEVICES conference, 2010, Venice, Italy.
• Best Paper Award in 5th ICAS conference, 2009, Valencia, Spain.
• EWI Faculty Scholarship, 2007-2009 in Delft University of Technology, Netherlands.
• Gold medal award, from Jimma University, for obtaining the highest cumulative GPA upon BSc graduation
• Special award for wining academic competition among secondary school students of the Amhara regional state, 1999.
3. Marriage life
His wife describes Doctor Bruhtesfa “Hanibal (as I used to call you); you were a special person; your love, your honesty, your advice, your teaching, your candidness, your wisdom, your respect, your eloquence, which can I tell and which can I leave. Words cannot express my feelings for you. Hanibal for me was my husband, my glory, my pride, my advisor, my friend and my teacher. He was very loving, honest, positive and a reason to who I have become in my life. I will love you and respect you forever. You have a special place in my heart. May God receive your soul with grace in heaven. Your good deeds will live above your grave. I will follow your example in all my power. I will try to fulfill your dreams.”
4. Social life
His friends and his colleagues describe Doctor Engineer Bruhtesfa as liked in his social life, honest, humble, kind, someone who does good and wishes good not only for his friends but for humanity; as someone who is hardworking, whose life was exemplary, whose words were measured; who disliked injustice and who detested malice; as someone who was liked by his friends and his colleagues in his deeds; as someone who earned respect through his honesty, his capability and his positive thinking; as someone of a good soul and someone who gives respect for humanity.
Doctor Engineer Bruhtesfa passed away on Tuesday the 24th of March 2015 after receiving intensive medical treatment at Karolinska Hospital in Stockholm Sweden after a sudden drowning accident at 18th of March 2015. His funeral was held on Sunday, the 5th of April 2015 at the Debre Libanos monastery in the presentence of his family, relatives and friends.
May God bless the soul of Haile Gabriel; condolences to his family, relatives and friends. Amen.