“Smart people are over thinkers, the insecure ones, the different ones. They know what the real world is like. They analyze every little thing in life. They stay up at night trying to think about every possible situation to get through all the problems. They think too much and trust fewer people their insecurity proves their respect toward themselves. Because smart people know their worth and those are the ones worth keeping by your side”
The above quote is what got me to write about over-thinking; If it is good or not, does it make you look stupid or not.
I am one of those people who usually overthink stuff. Most of the time I hate it; and sometimes it gets me out of trouble because it makes me think about the future and its consequences before doing things.
I’m not saying over-thinking is good. But if you do it in the right amount you will get to see different sides of a single story in a way other never did and never will.
What does over-thinking mean?
Over-thinking (paralysis by analysis or analysis paralysis) can be defined as thinking about something too much for too long that a decision is never made because a person may seek perfection. Over-thinking often occurs due to the lack of experience in life and being afraid of taking risks. Most of the time, over-thinkers are intelligent people who value relationships and care deeply for the people they love. But when they think, they become anxious, depressed, and obsessed and people may find it hard to be around them.
How to cope with over-thinking
Over-thinking can be very hard it can complicate life and may kil your happiness if not controlled. There are various ways to control this over-thinking, like:
- Accept that you have a problem with over-thinking and identifying your over-thinking thoughts as soon as they arise; your thoughts create your reality. Identifying it in the moment helps you to know what negative thoughts dominate your mind it makes you tick and anxious.
- Controlling what we think; once you identify your negative thoughts you can control how you think and push self-doubting, painful or degrading thoughts out of your mind.
- Try to solve some of the problems: instead of just thinking about the problems over and over try to create a solution for them. For instance, if you love someone and you don’t know what their response is you should just ask how they feel about you instead of wondering or worrying or jumping into conclusion.
- Exercise: start doing exercise that can help you forget about those thoughts, get busy and just focus on your body.
- Read something inspiring: it could be a biography, fiction books.. it could be anything that makes you want to be a better person and gives you insights of other people.
- Do something spontaneous: no matter what it is, trying things you usually don’t will keep you focused on the task only.
- Ask for advice: when you are confused or lost in your thoughts talking with someone will help, they might offer a different perspective and might help you to let go of your thoughts. Note that; when asking advice its better if the person you arer talking to has more experience than you and is not an over-thinker himself.
- Become a person of action; make a practical to-do list of things that are troubling you ; and things have to do in a day and try to implement it. This list may let you see what your top priority is.
- Surround yourself with people you love and try to spend more time, laugh, have fun and live in the moment.
- Learn to make decisions within short time limits; If we wait until we have completely answered all the questions and solved all the problems before deciding, we would never reach a solution” and this fear of change might mess up our life. the more you delay decisions, the more Over-thinking makes you lose your creative problem solving skills
- Try to practice being grateful and stop expecting; if you appreciate everything and expect nothing your life would be easier.
- Stop dwelling on the past and let go of the things that won’t help you to become a better person, you should always know that you can’t control everything and your past mistakes don’t define you
So whenever you cannot stop over-thinking and worrying, practice these tips, take a time for yourself, trust the process, and think everything happens for a reason and there is a reason why you went through what you went through.
By Helina Bekele